Monday, May 11, 2009

Any advice for over grown flower beds?

I have been ill all summer and my yard shows it. My flower beds are so bad that I have had three companies over for estimates to fix my flower beds and none of them "have time" to fix three 6 x 4 flower beds before fall. Two of the beds were in bad shape to begin with since I'm not much of a green thumb. I'd like to try though. I have every weed imaginable and they're all about 4 feet tall.





Where do I start to prepare my beds for fall so I can start a new in the spring? Does it help to know I live in Michigan?

Any advice for over grown flower beds?
This isn't so bad. The weather this week in Michigan will be great for gardening--not too hot!





Start by eradicating those weeds. Just pull them out by the roots. This is the only way to see how your other plants are doing.





For annuals, if they are leggy and overgrown, go ahead and pinch them back 1/3 to 1/2. There is still time in the growing season for them to fill in and bloom some more.





For perennials, they most likely won't need pruning, and some won't tolerate it. Proceed carefully.





Cultivate the soil, and add compost.





Next spring, use a fertilizer with a weed preventative, like Miracle Gro or Preen. This will make next summer easier.





Best of luck.
Reply:Thanks for telling us where you live. That's always helpful!





The project may seem overwhelming but those 3 beds are not all that big. Your best plan for attacking big weeds is a spading fork. If you don't own one, buy the best on the market. There's nothing worse than a cheap tool whose tines will bend the first time you hit a rock! A good one will last a lifetime.





When you are physically able - this fall or next spring - fork out those weeds. Once the beds are weed-free, you can do two things:


- determine which perennials, if any, need to be lifted and divided. Spring is an ideal time to do this.


- go at that garden every few days with a cultivator or scuffle hoe. Stir up the top 2" of soil. If you do this faithfully, weeds will not be able to get a start.





You don't have to line the pockets of landscapers. Gardening is great exercise and good therapy as well. Good luck and happy gardening!





P.S. Throw all those weeds in the compost pile. Eventually you'll have lovely compost to top-dress your beds with!


No comments:

Post a Comment